Links to articles, thesis, sites and other research that refer to UpStage, and related areas of research. If you know of anything that isn’t here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also refer to the UpStage Festivals documentation for media releases, interviews and other material about each specific festival.
- Recordings of UpStage Performances
- Books, chapters and articles
- Academic theses
- Online resources
- Documented Presentations
Recordings of UpStage performances
People often ask us for recordings of UpStage performances, and we are amassing quite an archive of these. However, we do not make them available directly on this web site because we don’t want the recording to take precedent over the live event. Cyberformance is live, lively and interactive! Recordings of performances lose that energy. (Also, we don’t want to fill up our server with gigabytes of digital video!)
If you want to access recordings of performances, please email email@example.com; we can give you access to some recordings that are online, and if necessary there are more offline – we would need to charge you a small amount to cover the cost of making a dvd and posting it to you.
Books, chapters and articles
- Embodying Essence through Absence: Performance practice and pedagogy through digital platform, by Bianca Mastrominico (2022). s. Journal of Theatre Anthropology, (2), 266–281. https://doi.org/10.7413/2724-623X043
- Online Theatre and Performance: Making social-distancing live theatre and performance during the COVID-19 lockdown, by Christina Papagiannouli, 31 March 2020.
- We Have a Situation, Coventry! – chapter by Katherine Wimpenny and Helen Varley Jamieson about a project using UpStage, in Virtual Worlds: Concepts, Applications and Future Directions, eds. Liz Falconer and Mari Carmen Gil Ortega, Nova Publishers, 2018.
- On Line: A response from a transmedial, postdigital and post-internet future, article by Christina Papagiannouli in Performance Research, vol. 23, 2018, Issue 4-5: On Reflection – Turning 100.
- We have a Situation! Cyberformance and Civic Engagement in Post-Democracy, chapter by Helen Varley Jamieson about the project We have a situation!, which uses UpStage. In Convergence of Contemporary Art, Visual Culture, and Global Civic Engagement, ed. Ryan Shin, published by ICI Global, 2016. ISBN 9781522516651, ebook 9781522516668.
- “We collaborate [t]here: processes of networked collaboration” – chapter by Helen Varley Jamieson in “Intersecting Art and Technology in Practice“, eds. Camille Baker & Kate Sicchio, published by Routledge, 2017.
- Political Cyberformance: the Etheatre Project, by Christina Papagiannouli; published by Palgrave McMillan, 2016. eBook ISBN: 978-1-137-57704-7, Hardcover ISBN: 978-1-137-57703-0.
- Ciberformance: a performance em ambientes e mundos virtuais (Cyberformance: performance in virtual worlds), by Clara Gomes. Colecção Estudos em Comunicação, número 1. Lisboa: CECL/Leya, 2015. ISBN 978-989-98796-1-4.
- CyPosium – the book, edited by Annie Abrahams and Helen Varley Jamieson; published by Link Editions, 2014. ISBN 9781291988925.
- “UpStage, cyberformance et assistance intermédiale” – chapter by Helen Varley Jamieson in Théâtre et intermédialité sous la direction de Jean-Marc Larrue, Lille (France), Presses universitaires du septentrion, 2014; ISBN-13 978-2-7574-0907-7;
- Loss of Agency as Expression in Avatar Performance, by Ben Unterman and Jeremy Owen Turner, in Nonverbal Communication in Virtual Worlds, eds. Joshua Tanenbaum, Magy Seif El-Nasr and Michael Nixon, published by ETC Press, 2014.
- The Net and the Butterfly, by Francesco Buonaiuto, Helen Varley Jamieson and Vicki Smith; published in International Journal of Performance Arts and Digital Media Volume 10 Issue 1, 2014 – special issue on “Interdisciplinary Approaches to Documenting Performance”.
- Etheatre Project: The Director as Researcher, by Christina Papagiannouli, Athens: ATINER’S Conference Paper Series, No: ART2012-0172, 2012.
- American Theatre Magazine – preview of the 121212 UpStage Festival of Cyberformance, 12 December 2012
- Cyberformance and the Cyberstage by Christina Papagiannouli, University of East London, UK; published in the International Journal of the Arts in Society, vol 6 issue 4, 2011.
- UpStage: An Online Tool for Real-Time Storytelling by Helen Varley Jamieson and Vicki Smith, Creative Technologies Journal, Issue 2, November 2011; article about UpStage as an online platform for real-time interactive performances.
- Don.Juan.Who?/ Don.Juan. Kdo?: From Cyberspace to Theatre Space by Anna Furse, Gender Forum Issue 31; article about the development of a transnational production which used an online interface including UpStage, particularly for collaborative scriptwriting.
- Dramatexts – Creative Practice for Senior Drama Students, by Sue Davis et al, 2009
- Review of the 090909 UpStage Festival by Fiona Sara Schmidt (in German; read an English translation here)
- “Real Time, Virtual Space, Live Theatre” by Helen Varley Jamieson – chapter in The Aotearoa Digital Arts Reader, published 2008
- Review of the 080808 UpStage Festival by Bree Hadley, in the Australian Stage Online
- The Internet as a Dramatic Medium, by Toni Sant and Kim Flintoff – supplementary article to Interactive and Improvisational Drama, ed Adam Blatner, 2007
- UpStage: a platform for creating and performing online, by Helen Varley Jamieson, IEEE Multimedia vol 14, no 3, July-Sept 2007
- From Puppets to Pixels, preview of the 070707 festival and exhibition, publoished in Scoop, 26 June 2007
- Entering a Web Stage, Linux Magazine, Issue 79, June 2007
- “Online performances mit UpStage” by Patricia Jung and Helen Varley Jamieson – chapter in Video: Wiedergabe, Bearbeitung und Streaming unter Linux, ed. Nils Magnus and Torsten Spindler, published by Open Source Press, 2005
- Performers Go Web, by Patricia Jung and Helen Varley Jamieson, published in the Linux Journal, April 2005 (link to article on the Linux Journal web site).
- The Etheatre Project: Directing Political Cyberformance, Christina Papagiannouli, University of East London, 2014
- Substitutive bodies and constructed actors: a practice-based investigation of animation as performance, Birgitta Hosea, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, 2011
- Internet e Teatro: Eventi performativi in rete dal 1993 al 2008, Francesco Buonaiuto, Università Degli Studi di Napoli “Federico II”, Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia, Corso di Laurea in Lettere Moderne, 2010
- Adventures in Cyberformance: experiments at the interface of theatre and the internet, Helen Varley Jamieson, Queensland University of Technology, 2008
- Performing Cyberspace, Cherry Truluck, Wimbledon College of Art, The University of the Arts, London, 2007
- Computer-mediated theatre: An examination of an emerging art form, Ben Unterman, University of Alberta, 2005
- The World of Free and Open Source Art: online resource commissioned by the Arts Council England and curated by Furtherfield: Ruth Catlow and Marc Garrett with additional texts by Charlotte Frost and Rob Myers.
- Creative Commons case study of UpStage, September 2009
- Arts on Sunday (National Radio NZ): Sonia Sly chats with Vicki Smith, Ian Whalley and Dan James about the 121212 Festival
- Festival architect Vicki Smith interviewed on The Big Idea
- Pixmac interview with Helen Varley Jamieson, August 2010
- FACETS Talk – video recording of a presentation by Helen Varley Jamieson, Coventry University, UK, October 2016: discussing UpStage, cyberformance and We have a situation!
- TIP2013 (47MB Quicktime movie) – UpStage story and demonstration by Vicki Smith and Helen Varley Jamieson, using UpStage to present remotely from NZ and Germany to the conference in Hawaii, with a small online audience; thanks to James Cunningham for the recording.
- Libre Graphics Meeting 2012– presentation about UpStage (by Helen), DownStage (by Martin), APO33 (by Jenny) and Lightning performance by Helen, Jenny & Miljana.
- UpStage: scène virtuelle & performance participative en ligne – slides from a presentation by Martin Eisenbarth at APO33, Nantes, France, 1 February 2012
- Performing Open Source – presentation by Helen at LiWoli, Linz, Austria, May 13 2011.
- “UpStage – an open source web-based platform for cyberformance” – presentation by Helen at the 2010 Libre Graphics Meeting, Brussels: video documentation.