Call for proposals: 121212 UpStage Festival of Cyberformance
Proposals are warmly invited for new cyberformance work (live online performance) to be presented at the 121212 UpStage Festival of Cyberformance, to take place online on 12 December 2012.
We invite proposals for live work that is situated online, in any platform that is publicly accessible (for example UpStage, WaterWheel’s Tap, SelfWorld, Second Life, Visitors Studio and other platforms). Performances should be no longer than 20 minutes, and can address any theme or topic.
We are NOT interested in pre-recorded work, or work that only uses the internet as a broadcast mechanism. Your proposal should clearly (but briefly) outline how the work functions as a networked performance.
Proposals must be emailed to email@example.com by 12 April 2012.
- the title of the show (it can be a working title);
- explanation of the concept (not more than one page) including the platform that you propose to perform in and any relevant information;
- names and locations of people involved;
- brief background/bios (not more than 300 words each; urls welcome);
- an image that gives an idea of the thematic content;
- contact email and postal address.
Proposals will be assessed by a panel comprising Vicki Smith, Helen Varley Jamieson (the UpStage festival architects) and cyberformance peers (TBA) and the selection announced on 12 May 2012.
Please note that:
- we are unable to provide any financial support (we do not have any budget for the festival at this stage, everyone is a volunteer) but we can provide formal letters of invitation to assist in your own funding applications;
- we can only provide technical support for performances in UpStage – if you are using a different platform then you must have your own technical support and ensure that the platform is stable for the audience;
- we can only provide training and mentoring for performances in UpStage, but a supportive artistic community is encouraged between the festival artists which may provide informal collaboration and support beyond the UpStage platform.
Information about past UpStage festivals, including show-reels, can be found here.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We look forward to receiving your proposals.