

swaray Log

next event here:

Open Meeting

WEDNESDAY 2nd FEBRUARY

9am Europe / 9pm NZ

find your local time: <http://tinyurl.com/6z599o9>

& more information:

<http://upstage.org.nz/>

...

<helen> i've lost sound

<vicki> nice to celebrate with food!

<helen> has anyone else lost the voices?

<henry> yes

<helen> after "year of the rabbit"

fr: yes i have

<helen> this is a high priority bug

<helen> i don't know why but it has got worse recently

<helen> i will try reloading in safari

<helen> back soon

fr: me too

<henry> jr and moh cant make it

<helen> back

<vicki> no problem henry

<helen> with sound

<helen> paul also might be late

<vicki> good that you could be here at least

<hencamtest> how are you getting on with 2.4?

<vicki> hey hello liz!

<helen> hi liz!

<henry> we're going to upload it

<helen> to 8083?

<henry> yes

<vicki> we are just quizzing henry [latest AUT developer about progress

e- sorry - multi tasking, windowing! Hi

<helen> great! what's the eta?

[helen] <estimated time of arrival>

<vicki> we are relentless eh henry!

<helen> impatient!

<henry> yes haha

<vicki> he had hardly loaded

[helen] <pushy>

<vicki> still stretching his digits

[helen] <demanding>

[helen] <whip cracking>

[helen] <serious>

<vicki> and the questions start

[helen] <absolutely no joking going on here>

[helen] <do i look like i'm smiling?>
...
<helen> henry, are the player/audience numbers visible to the audience in 2.4?
<henry> yes they are
<vicki> look at poor henry
<helen> fantastic
<vicki> he is working so hard he has stopped eating and has taken up smoking a pipe!
<helen> there are 5 players here now & 2 audience
[helen] <lol>
<helen> one of the things that the students have been working on
<helen> is making that counter be visible
<helen> to the audience as well as the players
<helen> so that the audience will see how many people are here
<helen> hi suzon
<vicki> is that something that would interest those of you in the audience
hi!
<vicki> hey suzon
fr: ciao suzon
<helen> it might seem like a pretty obvious thing
<helen> but when we first started building UpStage
<helen> we didn't think of everything
<suzon> hi!
<helen> we didn't know how it would all work
[helen] <we still don't ... ;)>
<helen> but the beauty of open source is that we can have some influence
<helen> in how it evolves
...
<helen> so henry
<curious> yes
<liz> hmmm - and in the voice wardrobe - some vices are not there any more?
<helen> can you give us a time when 2.4 will be on 8083 for us to test?
[vicki] < we have been trying to eradicate most vices!>
<liz> LOL
<curious> it should be up end of this week, latest on monday
[vicki] < some vices seem persistent tho!>
<helen> that's great
<vicki> cool tx henry
<james> yay
<helen> we want to get the new media management system implemented on 8084 as soon as possible
<vicki> james is beside himself!
<helen> so that everyone can start using it
<helen> but first we need to get the bugs out
<vicki> he is flipping out
<helen> what this change will mean is that

<helen> it will be much simpler
<helen> to upload & manage your media
<helen> the "workshop" part of UpStage will have a new look
<vicki> YAY
<helen> you will be able to sort the media
<helen> according to who uploaded it,
<helen> what stage it's on,
<helen> & other parameters
<helen> instead of having to trawl thru great long lists
<vicki> YEP
<helen> you will be able to assign something to a stage at the
point of upload
<helen> rather than the two-step process we have now
<helen> hopefully this is going to make a lot of things much
simpler
<helen> it's going to require a new manual
<helen> which i've started, using floss manuals
<helen> do you know about that?
<helen> www.flossmanuals.net
<james> cool..those long unassigned lists were long
<helen> yep
<vicki> oh yes
<helen> floss manuals is an online editable manual repository
<helen> created by fellow-kiwi adam hyde
<helen> & others
<vicki> you must register to use it
<james> things could get lost if one wasn't shrewd
<helen> douglas has recently been working on a new part of it
called booki
<vicki> but then you can do things like add all the great
tutorials etc that you made suzon
<helen> yes
<liz> yes - booki looks great
<vicki> [or we can and credit you of course
<helen> it means that multiple people can contribute to the
manual
<helen> so if you have an area of special expertise
<vicki> multitudes of people
<liz> yes - via flossmanuals
<helen> you can write the manual
<helen> or if you discover something that's got out of date
<helen> or isn't clear
<helen> you can improve it
<helen> once vicki & i start testing in 8083
<helen> we will work more on the manual
<vicki> and anyone else who is keen!
<helen> at the moment what's there is mostly from the current
manual
<vicki> liz james and suzon you all have logins to there eh?
<helen> yes if any of you are keen to test on 8083 you are
welcome

<vicki> and francesco?
<helen> no they don't
<vicki> oh
fr: on 8083? no
<helen> no-one else currently has 8083 log-ins
<vicki> sorry
<helen> but if you have time & interest to test that would be great
<james> didn't we use it in 101010?
<helen> that was 8082 & 8081
<vicki> i can change that now if you wish to have a look at the new code?
<vicki> no
<vicki> that was 8082
<vicki> which i use for education stuff
<james> o 8083 is ABC one?
<helen> don't look yet
<helen> wait until 2.4 is uploaded
<helen> end of this week or monday
<vicki> no 8081 was the abc one
<helen> henry will tell us
<helen> won't you henry?
[vicki] < we have so many it seems?>
<james> ok its a new territory then
<curious> we will let you know once its uploaded
<helen> one of the fountains shows was on 8081
<helen> or both?
<helen> these guys definitely used 8081
[james] <i will look for my pith helmet>
<helen> i gave them that because some of them already had 8081 log-ins i think
<helen> also in the heat of the moment, i was worrying about other instances also falling over
<helen> didn't know if the problem was limited to 8084
<helen> or if, once we moved to 8082,
<helen> that might also crash ...
[vicki] < ha ha yes it is a jungle out there!>
<helen> so seemed a good idea to use both 8081 & 2
fr: what else will be "new" in 2.4?
<helen> fr - there are quite a few small things that have been developed in the last 2 years
<helen> but never made it to implementation on 8084 yet
<vicki> i only made the logins in 8082 for the 101010 shows
<helen> such as the audience being able to see the player/ audience counts
<helen> & what else, henry?
<vicki> mostly the media management eh
<helen> what about the persistnet messages?
<curious> that we will have to work on
<helen> i think that was done?
<helen> this is being able to leave a message or sign on the

stage
<curious> i dont think its done
<helen> oh ok
<helen> we have had a number of lists of things over the last year & a half
<helen> bug fixes & other small things
<helen> but the focus has been on 2 things
<helen> the media management system
<helen> and the installer for the server application
<vicki> : yay thanks AUT team
<helen> the installer has been released
<helen> & we are looking for people to test it
fr: what about the shadows?
<helen> another thing that should be fixed
<helen> is how when you come in to a stage
<helen> & there is text in the chat window,
<vicki> the shadow av is not done yet i think?
<helen> it is all grey at the moment
<helen> it used to be all black
<james> i could find time to shuffle through the new version
<helen> but when we got the red & blue for thinking & shouting
<curious> yes it is a feature request on sourceforge
<vicki> cool thanks james!
<james> sneak around it
<helen> something happened so that when you reloaded it was all grey
<helen> that would be great, james :)
<james> I'll take somebug spray
[vicki] < you might need a safari suit as well as your pith helmet!>
<james> light some incense
<helen> cool
<vicki> oh yes mosquito coils!
<helen> henry, it would be good if you could update the list of things that are done or in progress
<james> knew pads for crawling through the defunct sewers
<helen> we have somewhat lost track of that
<helen> between the installer & the media management
fr: how could someone upload random images and texts during a performance?
<helen> some other things that have been in development are
<helen> an audience "voting" system
<helen> & "drawable avatars"
<helen> which is the ability to draw something & then move/use it like an avatar
<vicki> the volunteer av
<liz> I fancy a drawable avatar!
<helen> but i have not heard where these things are at recently
<vicki> oh ah yes
[james] <fresh baked!!>
<vicki> that is more like the object orientated process

<suzon> drawable avs???

<liz> yummy

<suzon> Liz?

[james] <it's hot>

<helen> fr: media can be uploaded during a performance but if you assign it to the stage, then it forces the stage to reload

<suzon> heheh!

<vicki> good for those with a graphics tablet

<vicki> be great to draw them and save them if yyou like them on the stage

<helen> you could choose to do this, but it might be disruptive fr: javascript?

<vicki> yes it is not a good device to have the stage reloading during a show

<vicki> although one group did that at the end of their perfromance

<vicki> to great effect

<helen> there is a feature request tracker on sourceforge

<helen> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=97481&atid=618272

<vicki> unfortunately they lost their chat log

<helen> here you can see the "wish list"

<helen> you can also add to it

<vicki> please add things you might like to see there

<helen> i am not sure whether you need to be logged in

<vicki> here

<vicki> or there

<helen> i'm pretty sure you can submit a bug without being logged in

<helen> some of those things will appear in version 2.4

[vicki] < yay thanks again AUT students!>

<helen> i'm sorry that we are not able to be more precise at the moment

<helen> but as you know, vicki & i are doing our best, as are the students

<vicki> we are

<helen> it's a big job to keep up with it all!

<vicki> it is

<helen> things appear to happen in fits & starts

<vicki> synergies are good

<helen> but really there is stuff going on all the time

<vicki> we like collaboratiion

<helen> when the students are quiet they are also learning about the code

fr: i know... you are AWESOME!!!

<helen> or doing research

<helen> tx fr :)

[vicki] < tx francesco>

[vicki] < we also like compliments!>

<helen> we are pretty excited about the new media management system

fr:)
<helen> jeez that's so much to type
[vicki] < yay!>
<helen> let's just call it the MMS from now on ...
<vicki> the mms
<vicki> but erm
<helen> it will make the backstage stuff much less tedious
<vicki> that's like mdia message service
<helen> oh yeah
<helen> er ... how about shirley then?
<vicki> we need to call it nmms
<vicki> oh yes
<vicki> surely
<helen> lol
<helen> shirly
<vicki> we have called anything surely for awhile
<james> shirly is soo organised
<helen> shirly will change your life!
<vicki> she surely will!
<james> it shirly will
<james> snap
<vicki> ha ha
 sorry - I have to go now - will keep a look out for the report
and 2.4. xx
 oops - liz
...
<curious> there's something new that needs fixing?
<helen> the drip :)
<vicki> the weather for a start
<james> get under and open your mouth
 mmm, let see what the night has in its wings....it is all
happening right now???
<helen> so henry since you are here
<curious> oh right
<vicki> especially the convergence zone
<james> it tastes great
<vicki> it is generating massive cyclones
<helen> have you & the team had any more thoughts about some of
the other things we talked about at out last meeting?
<vicki> can you fix the climate?
[vicki] < oh yes>
<helen> such as ideas for the web site?
 vicki, is it a metaphor?
<helen> or has the focus been on shirly?
<curious> no haven't unfortunately
 fr: a forum and a chat?
[vicki] < it is a metaphor>
<helen> ok, np
<helen> shirly is the priority
 mmmm..... i c!
<helen> have you looked at sourceforge since paul did some

tidying up?

<curious> because we are focused on fixing bugs

[vicki] < the convergence zone however is above the pacific that's what generates the cyclones - it has been very active>

<helen> ok that's good :)

<curious> yes he rearranged the files into 3 folders

<helen> yes

<vicki> nice one henry

<helen> hopefully it will be clearer now

<helen> to potential installers

<helen> which is stable & which beta

<vicki> paul is very organised isn't he? :)

<curious> yes he is

[vicki] < it is great!>

<helen> he's also pretty good at answering email questions

<helen> so don't forget that he's there

<helen> if you can save time by asking him things

[vicki] < he and surely will get along famously!>

<helen> he did say he would come today

<curious> he always got our back when we have problems

...

<vicki> UpStage is the better for us all

<helen> yes

<james> good to hear about the developments

<vicki> with us all

<james> and looking forward to 2.4

<helen> are there any questions?

<vicki> and i personally am looking fwd to where we might go next

...

<helen> does everyone know about francesco documenting things this year?

<vicki> ka kite ano

<helen> he hopes to record everything that happens in UpStage

<helen> so if you're doing something

<james> where are you putting the videos?

<helen> let him know & he will try to record

fr: nowhere

<helen> we are still working that out

<helen> we can put some on the UpStage server

<helen> at least temporarily, to get them to & from people

<helen> or use things like dropbox

fr: only for documentation for now

<helen> but even with the big new shiny server it is not unlimited space

<helen> francesco is going to think about how we can manage the archive

<james> good that you are doing that Francesco

fr: thank you james

<helen> & of course he's open to ideas & discussions

<helen> so you if you have any experiences with online archives

<helen> please share
<james> the record is the most important part..where it goes after that can emerge
<helen> yes
<helen> seems that fr is getting a good system for recording
<james> was there a dvd from 1010?
<helen> usually successful now eh fr?
fr: yes
<helen> not a compilation of whole thing james
<helen> it's too much for one dvd
<helen> so i have just sent people their own shows
<helen> if they wanted them
<helen> & dan made the showreel
<helen> with excerpts from everything
<helen> have you seen it?
[helen] <blush>
<helen> it's turned out to be a lot more of me than i intended ...
fr: i'm also intersted in script, logs, grabs, emails between performers...
<helen> oh yes
<helen> the process
<helen> fr is also interested to document the process
<helen> of those who are willing ... ;)
<james> we have some of those
fr: a videorecording is only a small and dangerous document
<helen> lol
<helen> it is indeed
fr: please james, could you send me them?
<helen> fr - it would be interesting to document activelayers as a group
<james> not a lot but something and will need to check with collaborators but probably yes
<helen> yes, there is also the issue of permissions
<helen> & we have talked about 2 different levels -
fr: or more
<helen> it is one thing to have something in the archive
<helen> accessible only with permission
<james> send ur email address to me at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
<helen> & another thing to have something publicly findable
<helen> yes, or many levels
fr: ok, thank you!!!
[helen] <feeling faint at the size of the job!>
<helen> but it will be an amazing resource
...
<james> fr, what will u do with the documentation..logs,emails etc?
...
<helen> but back to your question about what fr wants to do with all the documentation
<helen> fr - do you want to say something about the

possibilities?

fr: i'll not use them for mine purposes

<helen> haha

fr: well, document a performance is a difficult issue

<james> Suzon is a serious documentation collector but is too busy at the moment to do anything with it..just keeping it all for now , like the rest of us

<james> who knows if it will ever be relevant

<helen> one idea is to have an online database

<helen> or repository

<helen> to make the info accessible

<helen> hence the need to think about who it's accessible to

<james> the cyberformance police

...

<helen> lol - yeah have to watch out for them!

<police> nobody move

<james> they will looking for all those fucking swear words

<police> this is a bust

<police> I HEARD THAT

fr: but you are in some ways right!

<james> LOL

<police> YOU SAID FUCKING

<police> THIS IS A PUBLIC MEETING

<james> O NO

<james> RUN

fr: think about the emails

[police] <slippery little avatar!>

fr: thy are really interesting documents

<helen> yes, they are ...

[james] <will do fr>

<helen> but also sometimes a bit private

fr: but they are also private... sousveillance!

<helen> lot of work to sift thru & think what is useful for documentation & what not ...

fr: so... what we have to do?

<helen> however as wikileaks has shown us

<helen> perhaps it's best to always assume ultimate publication!

fr: archive them or forget them?

<police> nothing is private any more

<police> publish everything!

<police> police decide what is private

<helen> goodness

<james> ploooo

<helen> james is giving the cops a brown eye!

fr:)

<police> THAT'S DISGUSTING!

<james> fffft

<police> YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!

<james> arrest this

<police> ugh that stinks!

<police> cough cough

<james> fffttt
<police> choke choke
<james> ftp
<police> vomit vomit
<helen> great, that got rid of it!
<james> that's how you do it
<helen> fart the cops away!
<helen> we are learning to fahrt in deutschkurs
<helen> the germans do a lot of fahrting
<james> I'm off now
<helen> they fahrt all over the place
<helen> fahrt to berlin
<helen> fahrt to paris
<helen> fahrt to new zealand
<james> off to fart on someother thiung
<helen> ok
<helen> thanks for coming along
<helen> i will email you
<james> ausfahrt
<helen> as soon as 8083 is ready
<helen> einfahrt
<helen> gute fahrt
<james> ok
fr: ciao james, a presto
<james> a prest fr
<helen> shall we call it a fahrt then?
<james> ya
<helen> meeting over?
<helen> cool
<james> over and aus
<helen> thanks a lot suzon, henry, fr, james ...
<curious> thanks helen
fr: ciao!
<james> bye
<helen> cous cous
<helen> we talk more on email ...
...